Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Prep For a 14 Month Deployment

Big news is coming down the National Guard pike. I found out a week ago that I will be deploying to OIF (operation iraqi freedom) with my upper eschelon unit.

A lot of people have asked me how I feel about it and the only real way of describing my mentality is "detached". I'm more worried, at this point, with getting my things together and out the door than I am the whole "in country thing".

I spent a lot of time in the Middle East this past year. So culturally, I'm ready for it. Mentally, I'm prepared - the past 6 years I spent in the Guard were focused upon preparing for some type of warfare.

Sure it was mainly Vietnam-style patrols in the woods but, I know - or at least I believe I know - that I'm prepared for this upcoming deployment.

My mood is pretty resolute. I get irritable pretty swiftly but it's never for extended periods of time. I feel anxious to make this happen. Mostly because the sooner I'm out the door, the sooner I'll be home.

1 Comments:

At 3:53 AM, Blogger Ristinw said...

:( it feels like...i will be missing a friend so much in the coming 14 months.

I hope time will be passing faster, so u'll be home again! :)

I'm 100% support u.
cr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home